"The 15-Second Principle"

I got this book by Al Secunda ("The 15-Second Principle: Short, Simple Steps to Achieving Long-Term Goals") from the library and it's resonating with me. It fits right in with my word of the year and my plan for it. I make the analogy with a football game - the goal is keep moving the ball forward. As long as I keep moving the ball forward (15 seconds daily, or as in my plan - write 10 lines a day, create one piece of art a day, sing for 10 minutes, move some) eventually the ball will get "there". The process is the key. As long as I stay focused on the process, I will go where I want to go.

After all, oftentimes there is no "there" there. It is a path you want to walk, it's a self-image you want to develop, it's a matter of self-esteem. I have been creating one piece of art a day (after a break of many years). It has been wonderful. I have created momentum for my own art. Another high-priority side goal was to create a "culture" for art in the family for the kids so that creating art becomes "what we do". That also has been met. Aseem has been on a roll, drawing constantly, often with an on-going commentary about what he is drawing. There is a lot of truth to the principle behind this book. It takes very short and regular bursts of attention to create momentum.

Al Secunda's website is here.

Comments

Popular Posts