Plug-in Hybrids is the Word

or is that a phrase? Anyway, yesterday I wrote about the push by Google to "Electrify transportation", mainly through the use of plug-in hybrids. Electrify transportation is also the battle-cry of the Pickens Plan, which I wrote about earlier, although he is pushing compressed natural gas as the fuel of choice for transportation and using our enormous wind resource to generate electricity.

I just came across this post on WIRED: Plug-In Hybrids Aren't Coming — They're Here. Really interesting info about conversion kits and all.

We bought the latest Scientific American issue yesterday titled Earth 3.0. Interesting interview with James Woolsey, former director of CIA. The main quote is highlighted in big, bold, red letters: "When a Wahhabi madrassa is teaching little boys the virtues of becoming a suicide bomber, you and I are paying for that through our gasoline purchase." He drives a plug-in hybrid as well (with a bumper sticker that says, "Bin Laden hates this car"). Woolsey argues that,
"Reducing the national security risk begins with the rapid adoption of plug-in hybrid vehicles that can get hundreds of miles to the gallon. These cars are recharged overnight by their owners, and can go up to 40 miles between charges - farther than the average car is driven in a day. They rarely need to switch over to gasoline or to an alternative liquid fuel. A nation driving such automobiles would vastly decrease its need for oil."
As for me, I just want an Aptera. Just making my wishes known to the Universe. Don't say you don't know what I want for my 50th birthday...

Comments

There is limit to how much gasoline is there inside earth. There is only so much of energy that sun radiates, there is only so much of power in wind. But I can consume more and more. I want to consume more and more. I dont want to put limit. Who will win, me or nature?
MP said…
The way I look at it, we humans have been winning for the last 10,000 years. We have been improving our lives through technology throughout history.

What you are missing in your question is any notion of "price". When something gets scarce, the price goes up and that acts as the automatic limiting factor. As crude oil becomes more and more scarce, its price will go up (as it has been in the last couple of years), which will bring on all the other sources of energy that have been in varying degrees of stages of development. There is no need to put artificial or arbitrary limits.
Unknown said…
I'm with you on the Aptera order. Hope you have your place in line reserved. The cool thing is that the Aptera will cost just about as much as the conversion... even cheaper actually. And, it will be far more efficient at 300mpg.
MP said…
Thanks for the comment Chris. I'd love to get in the queue for the Aptera. Unfortunately I live in Massachusetts. We are not ready for them yet! I hope you get yours soon. They are going into production this year, aren't they?

Popular Posts