Basic Kheema

Traditionally Kheema is made with ground lamb or goat meat. I make it with ground chicken or ground beef. Both Manisha and I prefer the stronger flavor of beef. Again, here's my basic version.

  • 3 tbsp canola oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 lb. ground chicken or beef
  • 1 lb. green peas, cooked
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala
  • salt to taste

Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. When they start popping, add the onion and saute until lightly brown. Add the ground meat , mix well with the onion and cook thoroughly. I like it well-done and I usually give it 15 to 20 minutes on low-to-medium heat. Add green peas, garam masala and salt. Mix well and cook another 5 minutes on low heat.

Chopped up cilantro works great as a garnish. I add ginger and/or garlic pastes (about a teaspoon each) if I have them handy and if I don't forget!

You could add tomatoes as a variation. I would add them after the meat is cooked.

Comments

Christina said…
Hey Manoj,

I'm planning to try some of your recipes here at home. What would you serve with Kheema? Rice?
MP said…
I'd eat it with a roti/chapati or as a filling in a pita or even a taco. You can always eat it with rice too. Go to town!

And write a comment here to tell us how it works out (or not)...

Popular Posts